Design & Development
Human Automation Teaming Solutions (Internal Research & Development)
Consoar Environmental Monitoring and Visualization System
Consoar is a set of technologies developed with and for NASA to build real-time environmental monitoring systems. Specifically we have been developing technologies for collecting and visualizing odor/gas data in real time and converting data into actionable information for policy making and operational improvements. Our technologies consist of a network of large number of unmanned ground/aerial drones that operate semi-autonomously with minimal human oversight, a suite of sensors on the drones that collect and transmit the odor/gas data wirelessly, a 4D environment/interface for visualizing the network of drones and sensor data, a real-time data management and analysis system that utilizes Amazon web services (e.g., cloud computing for data processing, compression, and storage; Internet of Things for data transmission; pattern/image recognition with artificial intelligence; conversational user interfaces with natural language understanding) and is scalable and flexible with respect to the number of sensors, vehicles, users, and monitoring sites. Collectively with these technologies, the Consoar system can
- Monitor odors/gases and generate real-time analyses and alerts 24hr/day, 7days/week
- Deliver actionable big data tied to regulatory standards
- Scalable number of rovers/drones and validate the efficacy of decisions
- Make quicker better informed decisions
- Save time and money with better remediation response and outcomes
My role on this project was to serve as a user interface and user experience designer. This involved developing interfaces and interactions for:
- Show at a glance status and health of multiple vehicles (e.g., unmanned aerial vehicles and ground rovers).
- Develop techniques for route visualization and replanning. This included, for example, distinguishing between routes that are current, proposed by the automation, being edited manually, etc.
- Develop visualization techniques for displaying the quality and expected risk along a route.
- Plan and coordinate missions with multiple ground and aerial vehicles.
- Develop techniques for starting, stopping, and managing real time data collection from sensors (e.g., methane concentration) onboard ground and aerial vehicles.
- Develop techniques for 2D (e.g., trends), 3D (geospatial), and 4D (time) visualization of sensor data.
- Integrate forward-looking technologies such as intuitive voice-based interaction and analysis of changes and trends in methane concentration over time.
Interfaces for the Consoar system were designed for and implemented in the Unity game engine using C#.
More information is available upon request.